He originally had the idea to make a hat out of the companies bottles that they manufacture, but while speaking with his wife she had the brilliant idea, "Why don't you just paint on a hat?"
So began Dave's search for a body painter. After trying a few different painters, I was fortunate enough to get the referral. (Thanks Kat!) Dave and I talked about different hat options, but without any prosthetics to mimic the dimension or bill of a hat, our options were limited. We needed something that sticks closely to the head, something that I could paint in an hour. I had the idea to do a beanie with a real pom pom on top to help achieve a realistic look. Luckily I only had 1 face painting event that day, so I had time to look up reference photos and create a little pom pom for the top.
Dave was so much fun to work with. We put the company logo on the hat, but it of course had to be pixelated, because a knit hat doesn't have smooth letters. My airbrush helped me add highlights and shadows to give it a 3D effect. Dave was a little apprehensive at first, not quite sure if we could achieve a realistic looking hat. Once it was all finished and we added the pom pom, I think he was pleasantly surprised. He said that so many people that saw his hat, wanted pictures with him. What a fun and random gig to have!